November 18, 2013

Snow White.

        So this article isn't going to be like many of the posts I have done in the past. I seem to have been a little M.I.A. and I have just been giving you all snip-its of life or a picture from my iPhone. 

I AM SORRY OKAY. 

No need to be hateful. 

I just have a life… or maybe it's the lack of that life that keeps me away? 
Anywho. Recently, I have steered away from any sort-of fashion blog-esc posts, or "tips and tricks to make your daily life better", because, heck, I love fashion and I am a consistent reader of blogs like manrepeller.com and nylonmag.com, but I'm probably not qualified to give my opinion on the matters right? grr. Who am I to weigh in on issues of physicality. I'm from Nebraska! People here rarely wear anything but sweat pants and Husker teeshirts (sorry). 

But on an unrelated note, I feel like the issue of pale skin should be broached. Why are people so against fair complexions? I personally have pastry-white skin, as I like to put it, and have been compared to various fictional characters such as Snow White and Bella whatever-her-last-name-is-from-Twilight (I know… a vampire. not cool). Why does this culture make it priority that everyone have perfect olive-tanned-skin that is only possible if you spend all winter out on a surfboard? Why are there 1000s of people (teens, mom, adults, and OMW even MEN) flocking to tanning salons to literally cook themselves to that perfect brown hue? This, my friend, is not alright. Not alright at all. Don't even get me started because I could rant for hours about how much it damages your skin. But unfortunately the tanning craze doesn't quite end there. If you don't want to submit your body to the synthetic-rapid-browning-rays of the tanning booth, there's always self-tanners and spray ons. 
Heaven help us. 
We all have seen it, the orange hued person (at least you think it's a person) who looks closer to an oompa-lumpa then a girl. 

these little suckers gave me nightmares as a kid. *shudder*

Honey, did you roll in Doritos? 

So what's wrong with just living in the skin that God created specifically for you? Abso-freaking-loutely nothing. Not only is it healthier: it's beautiful. In some cases pale skin is actually considered desirable. Imagine that. 


 In the olden-days. Pale skin was a sign of wealth, beauty, and prosperity because it indicated that you didn't work as much.  

This is a quote from one of my favorite books, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. This is in the first chapter when she is introducing Scarlett O'Hara, the bell of the book.  "Above them, her thick black brows slanted upward, cutting a startling oblique line in her magnolia-white skin — that skin so prized by Southern women and so carefully guarded with bonnets, veils and mittens against hot Georgia suns"

And look! an article on Roman cosmetics:

In different cultures around the world fair skin is coveted, specifically Asian culture. I say this just from experience. I have some really close friends from countries like Vietnam and Thailand, I can hardly go out on a walk in November with them without waiting for them to apply copious amounts of sunscreen. 



I've decided to just roll with my icy white skin, and I think that any skin is beautiful if you just keep it healthy by drinking lots of water (which is scientifically proven to give you that glow that we mimic so often with bronzers and illuminators), eat vegetables, exercise, and keep it free of acne (too bad that's not easy). 

 A pale complexion is also the bomb.com because people with fair skin can pull off makeup trends like none other. Red lips, cat-eye-liner, rosy cheeks. Clothing also stands out more against a fairer tone. Dark shades look richer, warm colors look warmer, reds look happier. It never ends. And just in case I haven't quite convinced you that it's OKAY to be the Snow Queen of December, here are some celebrities that we all wish we could be who have fresh-outta-the-womb white skin. 


what's this? a supermodel? 


1 comment: