January 08, 2014

Mango Lassi

 In early December I (via a friend) discovered a little restaurant in a small town about 40 minutes away from where I live.  It's in a little truck stop that you'd otherwise drive by.  It's an Indian restaurant and it's just about the best food I've ever had in my life.  I went there on an adventure with a group and we fell in love.  It's called Waco Restaurant (the town is called Waco) and I highly suggest you take a trip there.  
instagram momento. 

While there we tried a drink called Mango Lassi.  It's a smoothie like no other.  It's apparently a traditional Indian beverage and I'm in love.  I've discovered how to make it at home and I though I'd share it here. 


For starters I use Kesar mango pulp. Mango pulp is ideal for a smoothie because fresh mangos are stringy and will leave that residue if you blend them.  It freaks me out, and this is mostly natural. 93% real mango. 

You can get the Kesar mango pulp online or at an Indian market.  

I use 3/4 cup of this.



You can store the extra in the fridge in Mason jars.  A sealed container will preserve it longer than, say tin-foil over the top. 



For yogurt I use any organic-Greek-style.  My favorite is Brown Cow, but the Mountain High works great too. 

I use 3/4 cup of this as well. 



Shout-out to real ingredients. 


 Than I add 1/2 cup of milk and mix it all together in a bowl. (Crazy, I know)

Pour over ice if you like cold things. 


Hint: If you want a thinner consistency use more milk-less yogurt, if you like thick smoothies that you practically scoop out more yogurt-less milk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment